reported in the Massachusetts Bar Association Lawyers Journal, the
following are 22 questions actually asked of witnesses by attorneys
during trials and, in certain cases, the responses given by insightful
- "Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?"
- "The youngest son, the twenty-year old, how old is
- "Were you present when your picture was taken?"
- "Were you alone or by yourself?"
- "Was it you or your younger brother who was killed in
- "Did he kill you?"
- "How far apart were the vehicles at the time of the
- "You were there until the time you left, is that
- "How many times have you committed suicide?"
- Q: "So the date of conception (of the baby) was
Q: "And what were you doing at that time?"
- Q: "She had three children, right?"
Q: "How many were boys?"
Q: "Were there any girls?"
- Q: "You say the stairs went down to the basement?"
Q: "And these stairs, did they go up also?"
- Q: "Mr. Slatery, you went on a rather elaborate
honeymoon, didn't you?"
A: "I went to Europe, Sir."
Q: "And you took your new wife?"
- Q: "How was your first marriage terminated?"
A: "By death."
Q: "And by who's death was it terminated?"
- Q: "Can you describe the individual?"
A: "He was about medium height and had a beard."
Q: "Was this a male, or a female?"
- Q: "Is your appearance here this morning pursuant to
a deposition notice which I sent to your attorney?"
A: "No, this is how I dress when I go to work."
- Q: "Doctor, how many autopsies have you performed on
A: "All my autopsies are performed on dead people."
- Q: "All your responses must be oral, OK? What school
did you go to?"
- Q: "Do you recall the time that you examined the
A: "The autopsy started around 8:30 p.m.."
Q: "And Mr. Dennington was dead at the time?"
A: "No, he was sitting on the table wondering why I was doing autopsy."
- Q: "You were not shot in the fracas?"
A: "No, I was shot midway between the fracas and the navel."
- Q: "Are you qualified to give a urine sample?"
A: "I have been since early childhood."
- Q: "Doctor, before you performed the autopsy, did you
check for a pulse?"
Q: "Did you check for blood pressure?"
Q: "Did you check for breathing?"
Q: "So, then it is possible that the patient was alive when you began
Q: "How can you be so sure, Doctor?"
A: "Because his brain was sitting on my desk in a jar."
Q: "But could the patient have still been alive nevertheless?"
A: "It is possible that he could have been alive and practicing law